Thursday, June 13, 2013

New signings and new kits at Villa Park

Already a busy summer for Aston Villa! Two new signings today, Jores Okore, a much-needed central defender, and Leandro Bacuna ("Bacuna Matata" has already been decided upon by the Villa fans for his chant), a young utility attacking midfielder. I think Okore may go straight into the first team, despite being only 20 years old, and Bacuna may be more of a backup/rotation option. Exciting times! Sure beats chewing my fingernails on deadline day. Nicklas Helenius, a Danish striker, is expected to sign any day now also.

Of the three, I'm most excited about Okore, the defender. Our back four was shaky to say the least last season and we could use some propping up. Okore comes to us from FC Nordsjaelland in the Danish Superliga, and he made a big impact against Chelsea in the Champions League last year. Given that Chelsea trounced us 8-0 in the league last year, I'd say we could do with a defender who knows how to handle them. And, rather deliciously, Chelsea apparently tried to buy him in January and he turned them down -- he preferred to go to a club where he could play first team football right away. Welcome to Villa Park, Jores! And Leandro! And hope to see you soon, Nicklas!

Meanwhile in other news, the new Villa kit for the 2013-14 season has been revealed:


I actually love both the home and away shirts, and I don't know that I've ever liked an away shirt since I've been following Villa. I might actually have to pony up the dough to get one of each this year. I'm waiting for the squad numbers to be announced before I buy, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment